Easy Protein Oats
The days are getting chillier, which means you may be leaning less into your morning smoothie and craving something a bit warmer. If this is you right now, why not give protein oats a try? So easy to make and so easily adaptable to preferences as well as what you have on hand.
Organic oats are packed with important vitamins and minerals and are a great source of soluble fiber, which helps support digestion and feelings of fullness/satiety. They’re also a great foundation for other highly nutritious foods, like seeds, nuts, nut butters, fresh fruit — and even a pre-approved protein powder.
Generally speaking, a ratio of 1:2 (½ cup oats: 1 cup water/plant-based milk) works best. This recipe is a general base in terms of ingredients. Feel free to add or omit according to your preferences.
How to Add Protein to Your Oatmeal?
There’s so many different, unique (and a little funky) ways to add more protein to your morning oats. Below are a few of my favorite additions, that offer more grams per serving while also making it even tastier than plan oats.
- Protein powder; vanilla or chocolate
- Chia, hemp, flax seeds, nuts ; a perfect sprinkle topper or make it even thicker by stirring them in at the end
- Collagen peptides; I recommend flavorless
- Low fat cottage cheese; simply make your oats as normal, remove from heat and stir in organic cottage cheese
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt; always a great option just make sure you get plain
- Nut and seed butters; a great topper that offers both protein and healthy fats
- Egg whites or whole eggs; high in protein, low in calories – whisk then add into pan and stir to keep them from scrambling
Why You’ll Love It
Not only are they a fantastic source of energy to jumpstart your day, but they are also incredibly versatile.
With just a few minutes of prep time, you can enjoy a delicious and nutritious breakfast that will keep you fueled throughout the day.
Oats can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease, and even aid in digestion.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
½ cup organic gluten-free oats: $0.34
1 cup water or plant-based milk of choice: $1.01
1 scoop protein powder of choice: $2.24
Dash of vanilla: $0.62
Sprinkle of cinnamon: $0.07
½ banana: $0.31
Total Cost: $4.59
What You’ll Need
|½ cup organic gluten-free oats|
|1 cup water or plant-based milk of choice|
|1 scoop protein powder of choice|
|Pinch of sea salt|
|Dash of vanilla|
|Sprinkle of cinnamon|
|½ banana, sliced; optional|
|Berries, coconut flakes, chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, chopped nuts, nut butter, maple syrup, cacao powder, chocolate chips, honey…|